Here we go.

19 January 2009

MLK, Jr. Day/Day of Service

Woke up, made a pot of coffee & watched CNN Inaugural event coverage.  Today, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, is not only a day off work, it's a Day of Service.  We had plans to join some group to do landscaping work at the Harmony (Free) Clinic, but the organizer never called me back with details & info.  So, me & ATM grabbed a coupla trash bags and walked all over Argenta picking up garbage.  Next year, we will make a more organized effort to volunteer/participate.  We definitely want volunteering a more natural thing for us, to work it into our lifestyle, like recycling.  I like direct action work, though.  I don't like benefits to benefit benefits.  Too many middlemen & lots of time/$$ gets wasted in the process.  I may need to do some research before getting into it.  Will probably call Wes B. to inquire how Food Not Bombs LR is doing these days.

I am getting things done in a timely manner.  I finished tomorrow's lunch for the co-workers.  Chicken tortilla soup w/lime, cilantro & avocado for garnish.  I had to make key lime pie again, it's an office favorite.  I've got most of me & ATM's supper ready for this evening, too.  In a bit, I'm going to drag out my dresses & my tights to see what I'm going to wear to the Inaugural Ball tomorrow night.  THEN, I need to write a thank you note to Bootsie for picking up a really rad Dias de los Muertos art piece in Mexico for me.  THEN, I need to put Xmas photos on a disc for ATM's mum.  THEN, I need to get take a break, don't you think?  THEN, I need finish putting our supper together.  THEN, I need to get ready to go to kickboxing.  When I'm done with class, I'm hoping that I've gotten everything I need to do done, so I can just chill out for the rest of the evening.  


4 comments:

Alannah said...

I've gotten myself in the habit of taking along an extra trash bag when I walk Lucy. I hate seeing trash along our nature trails.

I felt a little guilty for not doing anything MLK or service related today...but because of my work I do community service a lot and what I really needed more than anything was a whole day off, I ate lunch with girlfriends and spent a lazy afternoon in the Dickson St. used bookshop, now making black bean chowder. I feel much happier and more relaxed than if I'd tried to go to the MLK march, hear the speakers, volunteer, etc etc.

AMD & KMHD said...

Alannah, your job IS a huge public service! This using MLK day to be a day of service will be part of a lifelong project for me to become a better person with each passing day. That is so rad that you take a trash bag w/ you on walks. That's pretty genius, really. That's a new habit I can totally pick up! (Pun intended!)

Alannah said...

It's funny that all we notice is the trash because a comment I hear over and over from our students is that Arkansas is "so clean."

ATM said...

your puns are getting better (i.e. worse)! ha!

Blog Archive